JD.com launches new blockchain platform to help enterprise customers
JD.com believes its new blockchain platform could transform operations, including the supply chain, for its enterprise customers.
The Chinese e-commerce giant announced its new blockchain-as-a-service offering, 'JD Blockchain Open Platform', in a detailed release on Friday, also revealing the China Pacific Insurance Company (CPIC) as its first user.
According to JD.com, the technology can help companies streamline operational procedures such as tracking and tracing the movement of goods as well as enabling customers to create and adjust smart contracts on public and private enterprise clouds.
- OUT NOW! August's edition of our Supply Chain Digital magazine
- Migrating to the cloud can help shield supply chains against disaster
- Le Duff America selects ArrowStream as supply chain intelligence partner
Last year, JD.com introduced its blockchain tracing platform that enables customers to track and trace the source and development process of the products and food they purchase.
"JD Blockchain Open Platform is a culmination of the expertise and experience in blockchain technology that we initially developed for our own operations, to provide more visibility to consumers," said Jian Pei, head of big data and smart supply chain at JD.com. "As we continue to open our technology and infrastructure up to other companies, we are pleased to have CIPC as our first blockchain platform customer."
Yanhong Pan, vice president and CFO of CPIC, added: "JD is an innovator in its field and we are confident its blockchain e-invoice system will create greater efficiency in our operations. Blockchain technology is transforming the way companies do business, and we are pleased to have found a great partner in JD to guide and help us along the way."
The new platform is the latest expansion of JD’s Retail as a Service (RaaS) strategy, under which the e-commerce giant is opening its advanced technology and infrastructure to other companies and industries.
- Dr.Ahmed Sedky Al Ghurair Investment to join P&SC LIVE DubaiSupply Chain Risk Management
- Key Themes at Procurement & Supply Chain LIVE SingaporeDigital Supply Chain
- Kudzaishe Chivige, Movit Products to attend P&SC LIVE DubaiDigital Supply Chain
- Stefan Sickel, NMC Healthcare to speak at P&SC LIVE DubaiDigital Supply Chain