Terrorists Attack Global Supply Chains Every Four Days
By: Sharise Cruz
Security measures have been enhanced worldwide and governments have monitored compliance requirements, but there is still a terrorist attack on the global supply chain every four days.
BSI Group America led the Global Supply Chain Security Summit Tuesday to discuss the terrorist threat to supply chains and warned that over 600 supply chain terrorism attacks have occurred since 2004. Global commercial losses due to counterfeiting are estimated at $500 billion.
Security and trade experts at the summit stressed that companies need to manage risk and secure trade through tailored methods of business continuity and compliance.
“With more than 90% of corporate losses occurring while goods are in-transit, and 80% of un-manifested contraband being introduced once cargo leaves a facility, it is critical to tier security based on threat level,” says BSI Vice President Dan Purtell, Sr.
CHECK OUT THE TOP STORIES FROM THE WDM CONTENT NETWORK
• The Trillion Dollar Race for the Eastern Seaboard
• SAP, Oracle and Accenture weigh in on Inventory Reduction
• Oracle’s Top Tips for Supplier Relationship Management
• The Best U.S. Trucking Companies to Work for
As always, CLICK HERE to see the latest issue of Supply Chain Digital as it appears in our e-reader.
BSI launched the Supply Chain Risk Exposure Evaluation Network (cleverly acronymed SCREEN), a publicly available supply chain security intelligence data and analysis resource.
According to Purtell, “SCREEN quantifies in-country and in-transit risk with unequaled precision and allows for risk based inspection targeting and threat identification.”
With SCREEN, companies can access and download country-specific reports on supply chain terrorism, cargo disruption and business and political climate and look at real-time trade interruption, cargo theft and smuggling updates. SCREEN’s Spotlight News provides media on supply chain security-related incidents worldwide.
Perhaps most useful is the ability to bundle SCREEN with BSI’s Supply Chain Manager for a full range of risk management and supplier assessment solutions.
- LRQA targets transformation of assurance marketDigital Supply Chain
- Rx-360 expands global supply chain initiatives in healthcareSupply Chain Risk Management
- Fortinet Cybersecurity Webinar: Watch Now On-DemandTechnology
- BSI Supply Chain Risk Report: Crime Trends in LogisticsSupply Chain Risk Management