May 17, 2020

Cadbury owner Mondelez $3 billion supply chain saving

mondelez
Mondelez International
Cadbury
Kraft
Freddie Pierce
3 min
shutterstock chocolate pic
Follow @JosephWilkesWDM - Supply chain initiatives to deliver $3 billion in gross productivity savings and $1 billion in incremental cash over the next...

- Supply chain initiatives to deliver $3 billion in gross productivity savings and $1 billion in incremental cash over the next three years

- Supply chain productivity will drive significant margin expansion

Food manufacturing giant Mondelez International, owner of the iconic Cadbury Chocolate and Kraft Food brands, has announced plans to save $3 billion through a redesign of the company’s supply chain.

Executives of Mondelez International, a global snacking powerhouse, with 2012 revenue of $35 billion, highlighted initiatives to redesign the company's supply chain that are expected to deliver over the next three years $3 billion in gross productivity savings, $1.5 billion in net productivity and $1 billion in incremental cash.

As previously announced, Mondelez International is stepping up investments in emerging markets to deliver profitable growth over the long-term.  The company plans to pay for these investments primarily by expanding margins in North America and Europe to levels at or above the average of peer companies.

Chairman and Chief Executive Officer  (CEO) of Mondelez, Irene Rosenfeld, said: "In North America, we're targeting a 500-basis-point improvement in operating income margin, and we now expect to reach that target by 2016, a year earlier than originally anticipated.

"In Europe, we're targeting an improvement of 250 basis points in OI margin, which we also expect to reach by 2016."

Driving Supply Chain Productivity Savings to Reinvest in Growth

Daniel Myers, Executive Vice President, Integrated Supply Chain for Mondelez, said:"We're building an integrated supply chain organisation that's laser-focused on delivering a demonstrable competitive advantage and generating savings we can reinvest in our growth.” 

Myers detailed the company's journey to reinvent its complex supply chain, starting with upgrading leadership talent and capabilities.  Leveraging experience from more than a dozen leading Consumer Packed Goods (CPG) companies, the team is transforming manufacturing processes and partnering with suppliers to develop more efficient, modular designs for global product platforms. 

Based on these new designs, the company is installing Oreo manufacturing lines that require 30 percent less capital and reduce operating costs by $10 million per line.  These "lines of the future" can be installed in one-third the time and provide double the capacity in half the space as older designs.  The company is now implementing similar transformations for other biscuits Power Brands and the chocolate and gum categories.

At the same time, Mondelez International is restructuring its supply chain network.  To support expected demand, the company will invest in 14 greenfield plants by 2020, to be built on advantaged platforms in locations with optimized logistics. By 2020, the volume produced on advantaged assets will rise from 15 percent today to about 80 percent. Similarly, revenue per plant is expected to more than double by the end of the decade.

The company is also driving major productivity improvements through Lean Six Sigma, procurement transformation and simplification programs.  Myers underscored several examples, including: $400 million of conversion productivity savings over the past two years, largely from Lean Six Sigma work; a 20 percent reduction in procurement costs by partnering with strategic suppliers; and simplification of the European biscuit portfolio that is expected to reduce complexity by 60 percent and save $100 million in costs.

Finally, Myers highlighted the focus on improving cash management by addressing all the levers of the cash conversion cycle, including Days Sales Outstanding, inventory levels and suppliers' payment terms. In doing so, the company delivered a $400 million step-up in cash flow last year and expects to deliver incremental cash of $1 billion over the next three years.

Share article

Jun 16, 2021

EU and US agree end to Airbus-Boeing supply chain tariffs

supplychain
Boeing
Airbus
tariffs
3 min
Supply chains embroiled in Airbus-Boeing dispute will no longer be impacted by $11.5bn tariffs imposed on food and beverage, aircraft and tobacco

The EU and US have agreed to resolve a 17-year dispute over aircraft subsidies, suspending tariffs on billions of dollars' worth of goods that have plagued procurement leaders on both sides of the Atlantic. 

Under an agreement reached by European Commission Executive Vice-President Valdis Dombrovskis and US Trade Representative Katherine Tai on Tuesday, the tariffs will be halted for a period of at least five years. 

It will bring an end to punitive and disruptive levies on supply chains that have little to do with the argument, which became embroiled in the trade battle. Businesses on both sides of the dispute have been hit with more than $3.3bn in duties since they were first imposed by the US in October 2019, according the EC. 

The US imposed charges on goods upto $7.5bn in response to a World Trade Organisation ruling that judged the EU’s support of Airbus, its biggest aircraft manufacturer, unlawful. A year later in November 2020, the EU hit back. The WTO found the US had violated trade rules in its favourable treatment of Boeing, and was hit with EU duties worth $4bn. 

In all the tariffs affected $11.5bn worth of goods, including French cheese, Scotch whisky, aircraft and machinery in Europe, and sugarcane products, handbags and tobacco in America. Procurement leaders on both sides of the fence were forced to wrestle with tariffs of 15% on aircraft and components, and 25% on non-aircraft related products. 

Boeing-Airbus dispute by the numbers  

  • The dispute began in 2004
  • Tariffs suspended for 5 years 
  • $11.5bn worth of goods affected by tariffs
  • $3.3bn in duties paid by businesses to date 
  • 15% levy on aircraft and 25% on non-aircraft goods suspended

Both sides welcome end to tariffs 

European Commission President Ursula von der Leyen branded the truce a “major step” in ending what is the longest running dispute in WTO history. It began in 2004.

“I am happy to see that after intensive work between the European Commission and the US administration, our transatlantic partnership is on its way to reaching cruising speed. This shows the new spirit of cooperation between the EU and the US and that we can solve the other issues to our mutual benefit,” she added.

Both aircraft manufacturers have welcomed the news. Airbus said in a statement that it will hopefully bring to an end the “lose-lose tariffs” that are affecting industries already facing “many challenges”. Boeing added that it will “fully support the U.S. Government’s efforts to ensure that the principles in this understanding are respected”. 

The US aerospace firm added: "The understanding reached today commits the EU to addressing launch aid, and leaves in place the necessary rules to ensure that the EU and United States live up to that commitment, without requiring further WTO action."

This week’s decision expands upon a short-term tariff truce announced in March this year. The EC says it will work closely with the US to try and further resolve the dispute, establishing a Working Group on Large Civil Aircraft led by each side’s trade minister.

Airbus last month signalled to suppliers that post-pandemic recovery was on the horizon, telling them to scale up to meet a return to pre-COVID manufacturing levels. “The aviation sector is beginning to recover from the COVID-19 crisis,” said Airbus chief executive Guillaume Faury, adding that suppliers should prepare for a period of intensive production “when market conditions call for it.”

Share article